Milestone Project 1: Progress Post 1











 ▌│█║▌║▌║ The Plan║▌║▌║█│▌

I am in my third year of going through the design course, specifically Graphic Design. One of the things that have drawn me to take graphic design is logos. 

Logos are everywhere, and though most people don't notice, I find them quite interesting. I like how they all look different and use different shapes and colours. 

Also, the process that goes into the design process is pretty fascinating. 


So anyway the plan for this project is to make an object that is reminiscent of a logo. 

Since I'm still figuring out Grasshopper I decided to go with a simple shape, a decagon (10-sided polygon). 

To make it more interesting I decided to split the shape into two and offset them. Just like below:


▌│█║▌║▌║ Grasshopper Process║▌║▌║█│▌

As I mentioned above I'm not that accustomed to Grasshopper yet so I made it simple. 

Basically, the parameter I made is controlling the thickness of the sliced pieces and far apart they are. 

Honestly, Grasshopper is still confusing to me so this parameter is the exact same one that Bryan demonstrated in class. 








▌│█║▌║▌║Animations║▌║▌║█│▌

Here are some animations I made with the parameters I made in Grasshopper. 

I experimented with them to make them a bit more interesting. 

The first GIF has pretty smooth movement however I think the sliced pieces linger a bit too long at the end. 



The second GIF is a bit more stuttery which is probably because it has a lower FPS than the first GIF. 




















▌│█║▌║▌║Laser Cutting║▌║▌║█│▌

So for this project, I decided to use both the laser cutter and the 3D printer. 

The reason I decided to use both was I wanted the final product to be an object that I can assemble together. 

Basically, I'll laser cut the sliced pieces with acrylic and I'll 3D print the base where the sliced parts will slot into. 

So far I have started to print a prototype on the 3D printer so hopefully, this will turn out well. 

Honestly, I am looking forward to seeing how this project is going to turn out.


Print Prototype
























Comments