Milestone Project 1: Stacked Slices Model




▌│█║▌║▌║Laser Cutting Process║▌║▌║█│▌

So in Rhino, I modelled the base plate for the sliced rectangles to fit into.

I 3D printed the base with black filament and I used white acrylic in the laser cutter for the rectangle slices that fit into the base.

Before I used the laser cutter I set up the layout of the rectangles inside a polyline perimeter. 

I made 2 polyline perimeters as I planned to make 2 of the base as well. 

When it came to laser cutting this, Austin, who was helping with the cutting managed to squeeze all the rectangles onto 1 sheet of acrylic. 

So I was able to save on material.

The rectangles in the perimeter


The White Acrylic after it got cut








▌│█║▌║▌Final Product ║║▌║▌║█│▌


The 2 Pieces were placed to look like a logo























Close-up of one of the base parts



Both Base Parts

The project's initial concept was to make a logo-like shape using the stacked slices to form a decagon. 

I'm really proud of how this came out. It looks exactly like I had initially planned when I came up with this idea. 

It was also really fun to both utilize the 3D printer and laser cutter to create this project.

There is one minor issue though which is that the acrylic rectangles don't fit into the base perfectly.

Because of this the rectangles slightly lean over instead of being straight.

If I were to remake this project I would probably make the rectangles have a prong sticking out and have a hole in the base. 

So that the rectangle would fit into the base holding it more in place.



























































































Comments